Current:Home > FinanceFootball player Matt Araiza dropped from woman’s rape lawsuit and won’t sue for defamation -Capitatum
Football player Matt Araiza dropped from woman’s rape lawsuit and won’t sue for defamation
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 12:37:45
SAN DIEGO (AP) — Former Buffalo Bills punter Matt Araiza is being dropped from a lawsuit filed by a woman who alleged she was raped by San Diego State University football players in 2021, it was announced Tuesday.
The woman agreed to dismiss Araiza from the lawsuit she filed last year while Araiza agreed to dismiss his defamation countersuit against her, and no money will be exchanged, attorneys for both sides told various media outlets.
“Thankfully, there was extensive evidence that was key to securing Matt’s voluntary dismissal from this lawsuit,” said a statement from Araiza’s attorneys cited by ESPN. “Matt was and has always been innocent. The case is over, and Matt has prevailed.”
Araiza intends to return to the NFL, his lawyers said.
The defamation lawsuit against the woman, described in court documents only as Jane Doe, was “legally baseless,” but her first legal bill topped $20,000 and she “simply cannot afford to defend herself,” her attorney, Dan Gilleon, said in a statement reported by the San Diego Union-Tribune.
“Plus she has been beat down by Araiza’s PR campaign and is frankly over it,” he said in a text, the news outlet reported.
The lawsuit against four other former Aztec players will continue.
Emails from The Associated Press seeking comment from Gilleon and Araiza’s lawyers, Dick Semerdjian and Kristen Bush, weren’t immediately answered Tuesday night.
Araiza was nicknamed the “Punt God” and honored as a consensus All-American in 2021 for his booming kicks that helped SDSU to a school-best 12-2 season in his senior year. He was selected by the Bills in the sixth round of the 2022 NFL draft but released two days after the filing of the lawsuit.
The woman alleged that she was 17 and attending an off-campus party in October 2021 when Araiza, then 21, had sex with her in a side yard at an off-campus house before bringing her into a bedroom where a group of men took turns raping her. She reported the alleged assault to San Diego police the next day.
Araiza has said he stayed in the backyard and never entered the home during the party and that he left nearly a half-hour before the alleged raping occurred.
He and most of the other players the woman is suing have said their encounters with her were consensual.
After a monthlong police investigation, the San Diego County District Attorney’s Office announced in December that it would not file criminal charges. Several media outlets obtained an audio recording of a meeting between prosecutors and the woman in which deputy District Attorney Trisha Amador said she concluded, based on a witness statement, that Araiza “wasn’t even at the party anymore” when the alleged raping could have occurred and wasn’t visible in videos that were recovered.
Earlier this year, the New York Jets hosted Araiza for a workout at the team’s facility, six days after a San Diego State investigation found no wrongdoing by him in connection with the alleged rape.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- FACT FOCUS: A look at false and misleading claims during the vice presidential debate
- Dockworkers join other unions in trying to fend off automation, or minimize the impact
- Bills' Von Miller suspended for four games for violating NFL conduct policy
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Chemical smoke spewing from a Georgia factory is projected to spread toward Atlanta as winds shift
- ChatGPT maker OpenAI raises $6.6 billion in fresh funding as it moves away from its nonprofit roots
- Harris, Trump’s approach to Mideast crisis, hurricane to test public mood in final weeks of campaign
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- MLB postseason highlights: Padres, Mets secure big wins in Game 1 of wild-card series
Ranking
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Andrew Garfield Reveals He's Never Used His Real Voice for a Movie Until Now
- Why Rooney Mara and Joaquin Phoenix Are Sparking Wedding Rumors
- Kate Middleton Embraces Teen Photographer Battling Cancer in New Photo
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Over 340 Big Lots stores set to close: See full list of closures after dozens of locations added
- Hurricanes like Helene are deadly when they strike and keep killing for years to come
- Where is 'College GameDay' for Week 6? Location, what to know for ESPN show
Recommendation
Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
Travis Kelce Reacts to Making Chiefs History
Environmental group tries to rebuild sinking coastline with recycled oysters
Jury at officers’ trial in fatal beating of Tyre Nichols hears instructions ahead of closings
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
Below Deck Sailing Yacht: Daisy Kelliher Reveals the Surprising Text Ex Colin MacRae Recently Sent Her
Maryland governor aims to cut number of vacant properties in Baltimore by 5,000
Opinion: Hate against Haitian immigrants ignores how US politics pushed them here